Here are some of the things that they have said
- I haven’t found doctors to be helpful or understanding when it comes to the topic of menopause at all. The only thing which has been helpful is talking to women who have been through the change
- Doctors like people to be dumb and just go along with whatever crap they want to prescribe, like antidepressants that are addictive, hormone treatments that can cause breast cancer. They get really cross if you even hint that you disagree with them, particularly male doctors. Menopause is not an illness. No pill will fix it
- I truly think it’s time that women get mad as hell about being ignored by the medical profession during this rebirth. We need to educate ourselves, get in tune with our own bodies and search until we find the doctors who are willing to discover what happens as our bodies transition. It is our right as patients and as consumers
- My OBGYN is young and I feel she does not get it and my medical Dr. makes me feel like I’m overreacting and seems upset that I will not take HRT
- Sometimes I wonder if my doctor has flagged my chart because I don’t get the good care I used to. I think he thinks I’m crazy
- I have no faith in doctors. My symptoms were worse than what a lot of women go through and I never got one ounce of support from the medical field. I started reading everything I could get my hands on and I took care of myself the best I could
- seeking help from any physician is just a waste of time and money..if u get one to admit it is menopause, they’ll prescribe every estrogen med out there..trust me, i’ve been dealing with this nonsense for over 3 years
- I need to find a good doctor, my OB thinks I’m crazy, I thought because she is a woman shed be understanding. My General practice doc is male and I think he thinks I worry about everything to much and thinks I’m a hypochondriac! It frustrates me, they don’t seem to want to look for answers for me
There are countless other women who have complained about their experiences with doctors during menopause.
Some women think that the solution is to find a good female doctor, because they will be more understanding and compassionate. Perhaps that will help, but there have been many accounts of female doctors who were unhelpful. As 80% of women experience only mild symptoms when they go through menopause, 80% of female doctors will not have experienced the more severe symptoms that you may be seeking advice about.
Tips About What To Look For In A Menopause Doctor
You want a menopause doctor who
- first and foremost will listen to what you have been experiencing and who actually “hears” you
- is compassionate and cares about you
- is knowledgeable about menopause and its symptoms. It would also be preferable if this doctor was knowledgeable about all of the treatments that are available for the symptoms….but this is not essential if the doctor is prepared to find out about this for you
- understands that there is no one “best treatment” for menopause symptoms, because every woman is different. Each women has her own unique medical history and family medical history, as well as lifestyle preferences, that needs to be considered when choosing a treatment
- is open to complementary and alternative medicine treatments for your symptoms
- discusses all of the treatment options with you and who provides you with their professional advice about the treatment that they think is best suited to you, but who allows you to decide on the treatment to use
- will monitor your progress on a treatment and who will suggest that you use a different treatment, if the one that you are using is not providing you with satisfactory results
Many women have found doctors who are helping them through their menopause journey. If you havnt found such a doctor yet….keep looking. Seek and you shall find a good menopause doctor for you.